Big Ideas with John Lamerton
This time around on the podcast, I spend time with John Lamerton. John is a self-described "lazy entrepreneur" and investor. He balances running an ambitious lifestyle business with raising two young children. A former “hustler”, he now earns more money “working” 20 to 25 hours a week than he used to pulling all nighters and “grinding” for 100+ hours per week.
This episode is also brought to you by the University of California Irvine, Division of Continuing Education. Established in 1962, UCI offers education for adult learners in Orange County. But thanks to technology, their courses and certification programs in various fields are now available worldwide and online for just about anyone who's interested. Visit ce.uci.edu/podcast to learn more about the programs available.
Most of us have this notion that working hard means working long hours. On this episode, we discussed John's book which is For Small Businesses: Simple, Practical Tools and Tactics to Help Your Small Business Grow. We also discussed how to work smart by only working 20-25 hours a week and achieving success for your business instead of "hustling" for 100 hours work week. John now mentors his fellow ambitious business owners and teaching them how to design their businesses around his style.
- Introducing John Lamerton's For Small Businesses: Simple, Practical Tools and Tactics to Help Your Small Business Grow book (02:25)
- What is the definition of a small business? (02:37)
- On copying Richard Branson (03:20)
- Funnelling your business to thrive (6:46)
- Light-bulb moment for the business (09:12)
- The five magic ingredients for success (15:22)
- On high intensity interval training - HIIT (17:40)
- How the essay, 1,000 True Fans by Kevin Kelly helped in the business (25:05)
"The final magic ingredient is action and that is the key thing that I see most people are failing to do. A lot of people they are not taking enough action. But on the flip-side, there are many many people who take lots of action but it's the wrong action and they are going 100 miles per hour in the wrong direction." ~ John Lamerton
- Big Ideas... For Small Businesses: Simple, Practical Tools and Tactics to Help Your Small Business Grow
- John Lamerton - LinkedIn
- John Lambert - Facebook
I appreciate the time you spend listening to the show. If you enjoyed this, make sure to never miss an episode by subscribing. Also, take a moment to give the podcast a rating and review on whatever platform use to listen to podcasts.
Thanks for listening and for your support. See you later.