Keep Going with Austin Kleon
On this episode I spend time with Austin Kleon. Austin is the New York Times bestselling author of three illustrated books: Steal Like An Artist, Newspaper Blackout, and Show Your Work! His next book is Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad. His books have over a million copies in print and has been translated into over two dozen languages. He speaks about creativity in the digital age for organizations such as Pixar, Google, SXSW, TEDx, and The Economist. In previous lives, he worked as a librarian, a web designer, and an advertising copywriter.
This episode is brought to you Care/of: Personalized Daily Vitamin Packs, a monthly subscription vitamin service that delivers completely personalised vitamin and supplement packs right to your door. For 50% off your first month of personalized Care/of vitamins, go to TakeCareOf.com and enter the promo code timecrafting50.
Austin Kleon knows that the creative life is not a linear journey to a finish line. It’s a loop, so one needs to find a daily routine because today is the only day that matters. That’s just one insights he shares during our conversation. In addition, Austin talks about why he celebrates getting outdoors and taking a walk, the art of paying attention, how to channel worry, and what to do instead of focusing on making your mark in the world.
Specifics that we covered on the show include:
- About Austin’s book: Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad (01:43)
- On the importance of having a daily routine (03:25)
- On the idea of having a place to do creative work (06:20)
- How to combat the speed of life (10:08)
- On the idea of having boundaries (13:10)
- Building flexibility on your creative side (15:58)
- The idea of paying attention more than the passage of time (21:02)
- On the importance of having a journal (24:40)
- On using materials for his books that is not on the “modern moment” (28:05)
- How do you fool around with time? (32:05)
“Time is the thing you get and you don't know how much time you get. I think time is exactly what we are up against and it is exactly the real currency that we get to spend in this life. To not waste it and if your gonna waste it, to waste it deliciously. To waste it in the best way you can is the best thing you can do.” ~ Austin Kleon
- Austin Kleon
- Book: Keep Going
- Book: Show Your Work!
- Book: Steal Like An Artist
- Journal: Steal Like An Artist
- Book: Newspaper Blackout
I appreciate the time you spend listening to the podcast and hope you enjoy this episode. If you do enjoy the episode, make sure to never miss any future episodes by subscribing to the podcast. I’d also love it if you took that one extra step and give the podcast a rating and review on whatever platform you’re using to listen to this show.
Thanks for listening and for your support. See you later.