Metamorphosis with Steven L. Blue
On this episode I speak with Steven L. Blue. Steven is the best-selling author of five critically acclaimed books and his latest book, Metamorphosis: From Rust-Belt to High-Tech in a 21st Century World, is a detailed blueprint for CEOs and senior leaders to transform their businesses from failing rust-belt companies with small margins into high-tech leaders with superior profits.
This episode is sponsored by MeetEdgar. I've been using MeetEdgar to help me pay greater attention to what I share on social media, when I share it, and how I share it. One element of my work that is going to be impacted by using MeetEdgar is that I can give greater attention to areas of my work outside of social media - like the book I'm working on - because MeetEdgar will take care of my social media needs. If you want to give MeetEdgar a try, visit meetedgar.com/timecrafting and use the code timecrafting to receive an extended 60-day free trial!
This episode is brought to you by Woven Calendar. Woven Calendar features powerful scheduling tools built into a smart, collaborative calendar. I absolutely love Woven. It’s allowed me to streamline my appointment bookings on so many levels and is an absolute pleasure to use. The templates are a huge timesaver, the scheduling links are phenomenal, and the ability to quickly toggle between what is "My Time" and everything else on my calendar gives me a quick snapshot of my day like no other calendar app does. Listeners of thus podcast are getting an exclusive offer to put Woven through the paces for themselves. Sign up for free today at woven.com/timecrafting and add Woven to your productivity stack and schedule faster than ever before!
I spoke with Steven about the shift from rust-belt to high-tech products, the patience involved when making a change, and the process of metamorphosis as a whole. There's a lot to unpack in this episode and plenty of lessons that Steven offers that you should heed when undergoing organizational - or even individual - metamorphosis.
- What metamorphosis means to Steven - and what Steven wanted to title the book in the first place (2:06)
- Steven discusses the idea of "innovational potential" (3:32)
- The surprising model that Steven believes you should follow when going through a metamorphosis (4:26)
- We talk about disruptive thinking and how important it is to adopt it (6:47)
- Would Steven hire a Chief Innovation Officer? (9:06)
- This is what Steven had his staff trained in years ago that has helped the company out in incredible ways (10:07)
- The impact Steven feels change has on productivity - and how he suggests a company combat any fears that arise from an initial loss in productivity when instituting change (18:41)
- We talk about the many forms that innovation can show up in your business and where he has it show up in Steven's company (21:39)
- When and how does scale play a role in the metamorphosis of a company? (23:41)
- This is one of the toughest aspects of making change... no matter the size of your business (26:26)
- How much time does Steven spend in the planning phase? (29:41)
- Outsourcing is key - but there's an important piece when you're outsourcing to external contractors that Steven believes is a must (33:45)
- This is the biggest piece of advice that Steven says will help you get a decent start when you decide to undergo a metamorphosis (35:41)
"Innovation should be everybody's job." - Steven L. Blue
- Metamorphosis by Steven L. Blue
- Steven's Website
- Steven on Twitter
- The Productivityist Podcast Pick of the Week: Get Yourself Optimized
If you enjoyed the episode, please leave a rating and/or review wherever you listened to the episode. And if you want to have easy access to the archives of the show and ensure you don't miss the new episodes to come then subscribe to the podcast in the app you're using – or you can do so on a variety of podcast platforms by clicking here.