Growing Young with Marta Zaraska
My guest is Marta Zaraska, a Polish-Canadian science journalist published in the Washington Post, Scientific American, New Scientist, the Atlantic, Discover, and more. She's the author of the book "Growing Young: How Friendship, Optimism, and Kindness Can Help You Live to 100."
This episode is sponsored by Setapp, a subscription for Mac apps. Setapp packs over 180 high-quality apps into one. There’s an app for almost any task, so you can stay in your flow and finish what you started. Setapp has a dedicated curation team that only selects the highest quality apps. New apps are always being added to Setapp, updates are free and all the apps are full-featured pro versions. And you don’t have to spend time on app discovery and testing. Setapp makes it easy to get the best tools when you need them - they’re already in Setapp. Listeners of The Productivityist Podcast can check out Setapp for free for 7 days. Just visit Setapp.com and give it a try today!
And talk about the book we did! We talked about why she wrote the book, how challenging it was to write, some of the surprises she came across during the writing process, and more. I had a wonderful time chatting with Marta and I know you'll get a lot out of listening to our conversation.
- What inspired Marta to write this book? (1:12)
- Marta explains why she thinks people focus more on their health when trying to live longer (3:46)
- This is something that Marta tried and noticed it was helping her a lot as she worked towards "growing young" (6:42)
- What are some things that people can do when they feel like they are stuck in a sense of loneliness? (11:16)
- Marta talks about how helping others can boost your happiness (14:44)
- What does Marta think are some benefits of meditating? Why does she think people are so stubborn to try it? (21:31)
- Did Marta find it challenging to write a book that tries to convince people that there is a science-backed way to live longer and happier? (25:52)
- Does where one live play a role in "growing younger"? (31:58)
- Marta suggests one action someone can take to start this journey (34:47)
"Spend more time with your friends." - Marta Zaraska
- Growing Young: The Book
- The Blue Zones of Happiness: Lessons From the World's Happiest People
- The Productivityist Podcast Pick of The Week: The Tim Ferriss Show
Want to discover some of the books mentioned on the podcast? Check out Scribd, my reading app of choice.
Podcast Theme Song: Nothing at All by Fictions (courtesy of Epidemic Sound)
If you enjoyed the episode, please leave a rating and/or review wherever you listened to the episode. And if you want to have easy access to the archives of the show and ensure you don't miss the new episodes to come then subscribe to the podcast in the app you're using – or you can do so on a variety of podcast platforms by clicking here.